This hearty Chilean fish dish is easy to make, and ideal for a cold day. The sausage provides a saltiness which is complemented by the sweetness of the corn.
Spanish Hake fillets x 4
Pomarola Tomatoes x 2
Longaniza Sausage x 2
Chanco Cheese x 4 slices
Black Olives x 4
Olive Oil – 1/4 cup
Salt, Black Pepper, Oregano and Garlic to taste
Humita en Olla
Chilean corn – 3 cups
White Onion – 1 cup
Lard – 3 Tbsp
Basil, Sugar and Salt to taste
Water / Vegetable Stock – 1 cup
* Cut fish into fillets. Lightly fry the fish in a hot pan with olive oil until it is brown on both sides.
* Slice the sausage into small pieces and sauté until a little brown.
* Thinly slice the olives, tomatoes and cheese
* Place the cooked fish into a large oven-proof dish and scatter the tomatoes, cheese, oregano black olives and sausage on top in that order
* Oven bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbling
* Blend threshed corn with water or stock to make a paste
* Sautè the onion in a pan until translucent and then add the corn paste, stirring constantly until it is thick and golden
* Turn off the heat and stir in minced basil before spooning portions on to a plate ready to lay the fish on top
Serve with a cold glass (or bottle) of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc and enjoy. You can see what else we cooked in Chile in our short YouTube video.
Follow us on Instagram for more exciting foodie experiences.