Avid readers of the blog will know by now that we are totally, and unashamedly, in love with Peru. Every time we are asked about our favourite country, she comes top of the list. We feel like her walking tourist board. Her biggest fan.
Undoubtedly one of the greatest joys to be found in Peru is the food. From cheap street-eats to world-class dining experiences, Peru has it all. The number five restaurant in the world is in Lima – cementing its status as a worldwide culinary gem. Check out this list for the top 50 restaurants in the world.
Of all the delicious food we enjoyed, our best experience was staying with a local couple on the outskirts of Cusco. Our host Kettlin took us to a local market, pointing out the weird and wonderful foodie delights on offer. The markets in South America are intense and exciting, and we highly recommend visiting with a local to discover the best the markets have to offer. Check out How to Master the Markets of South America for more tips.
We made two delicious dishes with our local hosts, the first a cosy, comforting Sopa de Choclo – ideal for a cold day. The second was Guiso de Pollo – a tangy chicken dish made with mustard and a secret ingredient to give it a kick. Try it for yourself and let us know how you get on.
Chicken thighs x 4
Tomatoes x 4
Small onions x 4
Warm water x 1 cup
Raisins x half cup
Mustard x 3 tablespoons
Soy sauce x 10 tablespoons
Freshly squeezed juice of Orange
A couple of shavings of pure cocoa extract
Cooking bananas x 2
1. Blend soy sauce, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl and coat chicken thighs in the mixture
2. Lightly fry chicken in large wok until brown on the outside
3. Blend tomatoes, onions and water in a blender and add to chicken
4. Simmer chicken in tomato sauce for 10 minutes with lid on
5. Add juice of one orange, soy sauce, half cup of raisins and simmer for five more minutes
6. Add cocoa extract and continue to simmer for five minutes
7. Halve the cooking bananas and boil for 10 minutes with lid on
8. Serve with rice or potatoes
Follow us on insta for more exciting foodie experiences around the world.